[squid-users] Transparent caching problem

From: Kamel A. Baba <kamelbaba@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 14:35:17 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

This is kind of driving me crazy. I've been trying to
get transparent caching to work for the last 2 days
without success.

I am only posting to get help after I read so much on
this and I think I quite understand what needs to be
done but still DG/SQUID do not see the traffic.

Ok, so I have a RHEL ES 4 box running DansGuardian and
Squid. DG listening on 8080 and squid on 3128. I have
a Cisco 3640 with wccp enabled. Router can see the
cache and traffic redirection on the router is working
fine and it gets all the way to the DG/squid box and
is actually being decapsulated (can see that through
ethereal). I am using the ip_wccp mod.
I also have the required iptables rule in place to
redirect traffic to DG port 8080.
Here's the output of iptables -t nat -L:
Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination
REDIRECT tcp -- anywhere anywhere
      tcp dpt:http redir ports 8080

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

If I manuallay setup my browser to point directly to
DG:8080, everything works nicely which tells me DG and
squid are able to work together ok in both direction.
I think the problem is somehow traffic is not getting
redirected to port 8080 after being decapsulated.
Any ideas why?

I have ip forwarding enabled. Also, here are the
relevent settings of DG:
filterip = 127.0.0.1
filterport = 8080
proxyip = 127.0.0.1
proxyport = 3128

and squid:
http_port 3128
acl localhost src 127.0.0.1/255.255.255.255
http_access allow localhost
httpd_accel_host virtual
httpd_accel_port 80
httpd_accel_single_host off