Re: [squid-users] Non-cached pages with squid 2.5-stable13

From: Stefan Neufeind <squid-users@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 11:53:58 +0100

Mark Elsen wrote:
> On 3/19/06, Stefan Neufeind <squid-users@stefan-neufeind.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> at the moment I did try to run a squid 2.5-stable13 from Fedora Core 4,
>> handpatched with collapsed-forwarding-support and epoll. Those two
>> additional features work quite well. But currently I experience some
>> pages which unfortunately are not cached by squid.
>
> http://www.ircache.net/cgi-bin/cacheability.py

Hi Mark,

thank you for that tool. It reports:

http://[...]/cache/setHeader.php/getTheList
Expires 35 sec from now (Sun, 19 Mar 2006 10:49:01 GMT)
Cache-Control -
Last-Modified 25 sec ago (Sun, 19 Mar 2006 10:48:01 GMT) validation
returned same object
ETag -
Content-Length 6.3K (6438)
Server Apache

This object will be fresh for 35 sec. It has a validator present, but
when a conditional request was made with it, the same object was sent
anyway.

I've read that squid might not be caching it, since the expires is less
than 60 seconds in the future. Is that true? But even rasing the limit
returned (currently 60 seoncds, maybe raising it to 120) does not work
for me.

What does the "validation returned same object" mean and why is it
printed in read?

Regards,
 Stefan