Re: [squid-users] Reverse proxy multiple sites with re-writing

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 11:23:14 +0100

lör 2006-03-18 klockan 08:08 -0800 skrev Merton Campbell Crockett:

> Squid does not have the capability to rewrite content. I'm not sure
> that it can rewrite the URL in accelerator mode.

Squid-2.5 in it's base distribution can't rewrite Location response
headers, but the rproxy patch from devel.squid-cache.org adds this
functionality if needed.

Just as Apache, Squid is not capable of rewriting URLs within the
content of the returned response.

If possible it is always best to ensure there is no rewrites of URLs
taking place in the accelerator. This will considerably reduce the
administrative burden even if the proxy does support full rewrites of
even returned content. Have customers doing this with a custom proxy
similar to what you describe below, and the rulesets quickly grows quite
large and very hard to track any errors.. not to mention performance
penalties from either having to buffer the whole response before
replying or disabling the use of content-length (which kills persistent
connections).

> ability to rewrite page content. Instead of using mod_proxy to
> return the retrieved content to the requestor with the rewritten URL,
> you would want to use mod_php, mod_perl, mod_python to implement a
> routine to scan and rewrite the page content.

And Squid will happily accelerate this rewriting by simply providing the
Apache server as the origin server for Squid. So you have "Internet ->
Squid -> Apache content rewrite application -> Origin server".

Or if you can make the origin server behave and use the same URLs as the
client then just "Internet -> Squid -> Origin server", without any
redirectors/rewriters of any form.

> > 2. Would it be possible to proxy multiple such sites on one squid
> > host?

Yes, Squid supports multiple sites in accelerator form, and the content
rewriting is outside Squid as an origin site or peer proxy in the eyes
of Squid so you can have as many of these as you please.