Re: [squid-users] Reverse proxy multiple sites with re-writing

From: Merton Campbell Crockett <m.c.crockett@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 08:08:07 -0800

On 17 Mar 2006, at 16:29 , Robin Bowes wrote:

> I have a couple of questions:
>
> 1. Can squid do content rewriting?

Squid does not have the capability to rewrite content. I'm not sure
that it can rewrite the URL in accelerator mode. Apache can rewrite
the URL using mod_rewrite; however, it doesn't inherently provide the
ability to rewrite page content. Instead of using mod_proxy to
return the retrieved content to the requestor with the rewritten URL,
you would want to use mod_php, mod_perl, mod_python to implement a
routine to scan and rewrite the page content.

> 2. Would it be possible to proxy multiple such sites on one squid
> host?

I don't know. I use Squid in its basic form to support client
browsers. I use Apache and mod_rewrite to implement a service
similar to Squid's accelerator mode and to provide SSL encryption
between the security perimeter and the browser.

Of course, I could be all wet as I haven't really looked at the
changes in Squid since the late Nineties.

Merton Campbell Crockett
m.c.crockett@adelphia.net