Re: [squid-users] CPU gradually increasing

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 10:08:40 +0100

On 20.03.06 06:54, Andre Labuschagne wrote:
> Out squid proxy is running on a 3.6GHz Intel with HT enabled. There is
> 2GB of RAM and 36GB diskspace, and I allocated 20GB diskspace to the
> cache. We have around 750 users utilising the cache at the moment and
> it's running on a Suse10 box and uses Websense as a redirector.
>
> Initially the average cpu usage 5 min and 60 min was around 6-8% but
> recently I see that it has increased to around 60-70%. The first couple
> of figures were taken while the cache was below 500MB, and the cache now
> sits at about 6GB. Does this mean that a larger cache file also means an
> increase in the CPU usage and will I need to reduce my cache file to
> around 9GB to reach a point where the processor is 95% utilised?

Is that user or sys cpu time? (what does "top" say?)

And is it squid that takes that much cpu time or is that system-wide cpu
usage?

I don't think squid should take much more CPU time when the cache is filled
up but there are possibilities e.g. running squid cache on reisersfs without
the notail option...

> The timespan involved in the two measurements is only about two weeks
> and I cannot think of any other changes to the usage that could have had
> an impact on how the box is used in that time period.

The 3 biggets disasters: Hiroshima 45, Tschernobyl 86, Windows 95