Re: [squid-users] Non-cached pages with squid 2.5-stable13

From: Stefan Neufeind <squid-users@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 10:51:22 +0100

Mark Elsen wrote:
>> Hi Mark,
>>
>> thank you for that tool. It reports:
>>

>> http://[...]/cache/setHeader.php/getTheList
>> Expires 35 sec from now (Sun, 19 Mar 2006 10:49:01 GMT)
>> Cache-Control -
>> Last-Modified 25 sec ago (Sun, 19 Mar 2006 10:48:01 GMT) validation
>> returned same object
>> ETag -
>> Content-Length 6.3K (6438)
>> Server Apache
>>

>> This object will be fresh for 35 sec. It has a validator present, but
>> when a conditional request was made with it, the same object was sent
>> anyway.
>>

>> I've read that squid might not be caching it, since the expires is less
>> than 60 seconds in the future. Is that true? But even rasing the limit
>> returned (currently 60 seoncds, maybe raising it to 120) does not work
>> for me.
>>
>> What does the "validation returned same object" mean and why is it
>> printed in read?
>>

> Not sure, what is returned for this object with :
>
> http://web-sniffer.net
>
> ?

Hmm - does not show anything special either. But during tries to track
this down it showed that most of the time I received TCP_MEM_HIT, but
sometimes a row of TCP_REFRESH_MISS occured for a duration of 10 or 20
seconds (1 request per sec) out of no obvious reason and only sporadic.
It seems this occured with and without the collapsed forwarding-patch.
I'll try to find a good way to reliable diagnose it before continuing
this thread.

Thank you for your help so far.

Regards,
 Stefan