[squid-users] No protocol or hostname part of url problem

From: William K. Hardeman <wont-i@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 09:06:24 -0500

I'm hoping someone can help me figure out a resolution to a problem we are
having. Preferably a Squid-based solution, although I'll take anything that
gets this working. :-)

We have 2 users who use a PDA-based application to perform safety audits
on-site. When they return to their office, they connect the PDA to their
computer, log in to the application provider's web-site with their browser,
then, using the PDA, upload the results of the audit to the provider.

We just deployed a Squid proxy out there this past weekend, and they cannot
now upload to the provider. In investigating the problem, I have discovered
that the PDA application does not properly form the POST urls. What the PDA
sends as the POST url is on the order of '/url/form.asp' instead of
'http://host.dom.ain/url/form.asp'.

In examining the flow of events on the wire, it looks like the reason it
works without Squid is that the HTTP packet has the host: header properly
set. It looks like Squid doesn't examine that header if there is no
hostname in the url.

Here's a tcpdump of one of the problem packets, with relevant parts
commented to protect the innocent:

POST /comm/login.asp HTTP/1.1
Connection: Keep-Alive
Cache-Control: no-cache

sqsuser=xxxxxxx&sqspass=xxxxxxx

I know the most proper answer to solving this is to see if the application
provider has a fix for their broken application, but in the meantime, I
have these users constantly bothering me about not being able to send their
data. Anyone have any suggestions that could make Squid process these urls?

Thanks,
Will

William K. Hardeman
wont-i@wkh.org