Re: [squid-users] No protocol or hostname part of url problem

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 13:28:43 +0200

fre 2006-03-24 klockan 09:06 -0500 skrev William K. Hardeman:

> We just deployed a Squid proxy out there this past weekend, and they cannot
> now upload to the provider. In investigating the problem, I have discovered
> that the PDA application does not properly form the POST urls. What the PDA
> sends as the POST url is on the order of '/url/form.asp' instead of
> 'http://host.dom.ain/url/form.asp'.

Is the PDA application configured to use the proxy?

From your description it sounds like the PDA application does not use
the proxy and that the requests ends up at the proxy without the PDA
application knowing..

> In examining the flow of events on the wire, it looks like the reason it
> works without Squid is that the HTTP packet has the host: header properly
> set. It looks like Squid doesn't examine that header if there is no
> hostname in the url.

Squid can, and must when used as a transparently intercepting proxy
without the browser/application knowing. See the httpd_accel_*
directives and/or the Squid FAQ.