[squid-users] Unusual squid application

From: BARRY J BLUMENFELD <bblumen1@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 07:01:50 -0500

Hello,
     We have a very unusual squid application. We want to use a squid as
a distribution point of a few very large files (~300 MB) to hundreds of
computers. If the first computer requests the file, and it isn't in the
disk cache, a request will be made to the origin server. That's fine.
What happens if a second computer requests the same file before the first
download from the origin server is completely in the squid cache? Is
squid smart enough to realize that the file has already been requested
from the origin server and wait, or will the second request initiate a
second download from the origin server?

For these huge files, does the squid wait until the whole file has arrived
from the origin server before passing it on to the first client?

Thanks very much.