Re: [squid-users] miranda

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 13:39:09 +0200

fre 2006-03-24 klockan 11:21 -0400 skrev Peter Marshall:
> I am trying to figure out how some users are using Miranda to get past
> my squid rules. normally, msn, icq, gtalk, yahoo messenger, etc will
> not work, however, a few users have figured out how to get around this,
> and I have not been able to figure out how.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions ?

Most likely they have a Miranda proxy server somewhere, acting as a
HTTP->whatever gateway. Quite likely running on their home computer or
similar.

If you know the client it should not be hard to identify the proxy
gateway they are using from your access.log details. It should be either
a frequently accessed address while the Miranda client is running, or
very long running CONNECT requests.

Note: To make this somewhat harder to do make sure CONNECT is properly
restricted as per the suggested default squid.conf rules..