Re: [squid-users] Disk performance basics

From: Shawn Wright <swright@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 16:15:40 -0800

Thanks for the info. I've been using XFS for years, ever since SGI started
patching RH for it, and have been very happy with it - fast, and solid as a rock. I'll
have to look into epoll. I've got some time, as this won't happen for a few
months.

What are the current thoughts as to SMP with squid? I could buy more disks or
RAM for the cost of the 2nd CPU. We went from a single CPU NT squid box to
the current dual CPU linux squid box, so I can't really say whether the dual CPU
makes much of a difference. We started out with async-io=24, which proved too
much for the hardware, and have settled at 16 threads, which seems about right
for the old box, and has proven to be very solid.
How about RAM/cache space? Currently we have 768Mb RAM, 27Gb cache.
I would probably go with around 2Gb RAM & 160Gb cache on the new box.

We rely heavily on delay pools to keep bandwidth under control, giving our
students 70kb/s max on their own PCs. Even at that, with the hours they are
allowed to use it, we have some managing over 2Gb/day of downloads. With fast
connectivity on the campus, they can really hammer the proxy during peak
times, as our recent log-filling experience can attest to.

On 29 Mar 2006 at 20:34, Rodrigo A B Freire wrote:

> Shawn,
>
> Undo the RAID5 and leave them as single disks. Format the disks with
> XFS. Use epoll.
>
> Be happy! ;-)

Shawn Wright, I.T. Manager
Shawnigan Lake School