Re: [squid-users] Disk performance basics

From: Rodrigo A B Freire <zazgyn@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 21:37:58 -0300

    Shawn,

    We are a heavy user of ACLs. Besides, our traffic is authenticated (and
authorized). This is a eager CPU eater.

    Our Dell has 2 GB RAM, is a SMP machine (non-HT; two real processors and
disabled HT) and the load is quite balanced. One CPU gets a higher affinity
with Squid's internal things (since Squid isn't multi-threaded to take full
benefit of a SMP system) and the other deals with the interrupts, I/O,
authenticators, diskd, and other banal (but cpu-consuming) stuffs.

    We also rely on delay pools to disencourage some traffics (streaming,
webmails, etc). Altough not strictly prohibited, but the user willing to use
it, will have to face the line! :-)

    I have two machines doing the proxy service; a quad-xeon P III 700 with
3 GB RAM and 180 GB HDD (JBOD, 16 disks) and a Dell 3.2 SMP, 70 GB HDD.

    As weird as it may sound, my quad P III do the job better than the dual
P IV. Wait, don't blame the memory: Even when had 2 MB performed better than
the P IV.

    When we implemented a "load balancing" via dns (the name proxy has two
IPs, a very primmary LB) with these two machines, it brought us a very
pleasant result, with quicker response to the users. One of them (the Dell)
I've configured to force the cache of Windows Update and Google Earth...
It's just terrific!

    Well, that's it!

    Best regards,

    Rodrigo.