Re: [squid-users] Purpose of enable-linux-netfilter option.

From: Logu <logsnaath@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 10:25:48 +0530

Hi Henrik,

> But I have squid and linux version (which matches with the FAQ) as
> follows,
> still I am able to do the transparent caching without any issues.
> The FAQ says "To support netfilter transparent interception on Linux 2.4
> Squid must be compiled with the --enable-linux-netfilter option."

Actually no. Even if it may seem so your setup doesn't work fully.

What does not work without this option is "httpd_accel_host virtual"
which is required for HTTP/1.0 requests without a Host header. Without
the netfilter integration all Squid will see as destination address on
such requests is it's own address, not the real requested address.

Thanks for the reply, this really helps me to understand the necessity to
use -enable-linux-netfilter option.

-logu