Re: [squid-users] Squid crash root cause

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 12:58:39 -0800

Mitesh P Choksi wrote:

> Dear Chris,
>
> This sounds like a good one.
>
> As part of the logging, I need to log the current number of file
> descriptors in use and if after a crash I notice the last values
> hitting the peaks, I can almost accurately say that REDIRECT of
> iptables is the cause. Any pointers to monitor the file descriptors?

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Linux/Q_21777174.html
MRTG or RRDtool would be another option, but that is really only
attractive if you are going to use it for other purposes as well (the
allegory of killing a fly with an elephant gun comes to mind).

> From what your last sentence says, you are not using redirect but ask
> customers to setup the proxy settings, probably using .pac files.

Well, if I was nicer I would supply a proxy.pac... :o) It's on my TODO
list.

> Thanks,
>
> Mitesh

Chris