Re: [squid-users] Squid ramdomly dying

From: <tpeixoto@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 20:40:18 -0300

Michael Loftis wrote:

> --On May 4, 2006 1:29:00 PM -0300 tpeixoto@widesoft.com.br wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> Squid is dying with no apparent reason from time to time...
>>
>> I only see in cache.log:
>>
>> FATAL: Received Segment Violation...dying.
>
> Segfaults are usually one of about three things (most common to least
> common) -- bad programming, bad memory, or bad CPU fan. Are you using
> async I/O? In the past I've had lots of issues with that. Outside of
> that what follows are more or less general recommendations...

No, I am using diskd.

> I don't run 2.5.13 on FreeBSD 5.4 nor AMD64 so I can't vouch for it's
> stability there however on Linux and FreeBSD 4.x it's been very stable.
> If you can take the machine down for a few hours download memtest86 from
> Memtest86.com burn the ISO to a disc, and boot off of it. Let it run a
> pass or two. If it comes up with any errors, there's your problem, bad
> memory most likely. If it locks up, reboots, or shuts down, you've got
> a cooling issue.

I can't let the machine down for a minute :)
Anyway, I don't think we have a hardware issue. It's a Dell PowerEdge
830 with ECC memory. First we had 1GB of RAM, but as Squid grew, we
bought 2GB and exchanged all memory chips. The problem exists either
with old or new memory chips.
The fan is fine, in fact, I am 99.9% sure that we don't have a hardware
problem.

> Assuming that's all clear then my next step would be to turn on core
> dumps and after it dies use gdb to gether the backtrace information. If
> you haven't built with debugging symbols and automatic backtraces by
> adding --enable-stacktraces to your existing ./configure...while you're
> at that can you post what your existing ./configure is.
>
> Note that I know atleast int eh past AIO/aufs (i think is what it's
> called now) has been the cause of much grief for me so I use diskd
> exclusively. I'm not a huge fan of big monolithic programs anyway.

I have enabled debugging symbols and will open a bug report (when I get
the traces) as recommended.

Thanks.