[squid-users] per-user authentication and settings (Squid or dg)?

From: Dave <dmehler26@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 13:11:27 -0400

Hello,
    I apologize for the cross post, but i'm not sure which product, squid
with proxy and authentication, or dansguardian, with user groups, would be
best to assist with the issue i'm about to be faced with.
    I've got a transparent squid proxy set up with filtering and it is
working quite nicely. Now i have need to have user authentication and
individual user restrictions. For example, and i'll try to keep this as
close to my situation as possible, user1 has no restrictions, can go
anywhere. User2 only wants to go to yahoo sites, specifically instant
message, mail, and yahoo music. User3 is allowed to play online games and
i've got a site list of sites for them. User4 has been bad and has not done
his homework, as a result i don't want him to have access to games,
messaging, or any other content save another list of sites i approve. My
thinking is to assign each of these users a username and an md5 password for
digest authentication, yet i don't want to install apache for access to
htdigest to pull that off. I've thought about ntlm, but that seems overkill
for this situation, more than likely these user requirements will be varied.
I'm also not sure if this is something dg would be best at or squid at the
proxy level.
Thanks.
Dave.