Re: [squid-users] Squid error:WARNING: got unused STORE_META type -72

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 16:14:39 +0800

On Sun, May 14, 2006, joe wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm Working on squid-2.5.STABLE13 with coss Storage Scheme.
> It runs FreeBSD 4.10.
> My squid couldn't work yesterday.I inspection of the cache logs this is what I found:

COSS is currently not stable in Squid-2.5STABLE13.

> cache_mem 512 MB
> cache_swap_low 90
> cache_swap_high 95
> maximum_object_size 32768 KB
> minimum_object_size 0 KB
> maximum_object_size_in_memory 1024 KB
> cache_dir coss /home/squid/cache/coss0 2000 max-size=1000000 block-size=1024
> cache_dir coss /home/squid/cache/coss1 2000 max-size=1000000 block-size=1024

COSS is also not very good at storing objects that big; the default stripe
size is 1 megabyte and I haven't tested it with larger stripe sizes.
COSS is also much better at storing smaller objects, under 64k. You should
configure an aufs or diskd cache-dir after the two COSS stores to catch the
objects that COSS can't cache. I'd suggest using diskd under FreeBSD 4.10.

The hit rate will also be less than ideal in the real world until some
storage changes occur in Squid itself. They're not difficult changes;
I just haven't gotten around to them yet.

Please feel free to try out my development code at http://www.cacheboy.net/ -
you'll have to install monotone in order to get access to my current COSS
work. Grab monotone, then check out the 'net.cacheboy.squid.coss' branch from
'squid.cacheboy.net'. Its basically Squid-2.5 with a few extras that I'm
running locally.

I'm getting some strange stale object errors when testing with Polygraph;
I haven't investigated enough yet to see why they're happening.
I'm not running COSS locally yet either: I've spent the last couple of weeks
ironing out the exact bugs you've been seeing.

Adrian