Re: [squid-users] Tunning cache and memory dedicated

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 10:03:22 +0200

On 21.05.06 19:22, Aguiar Magalhaes wrote:

> I'm using squid 2.5 and everything looks well. The
> pages are downloadind quickly, I'm blocking some bad
> pages and sites, etc.
>
> I'd like to know if the cache and memory dedicated are
> correct for my LAN.. I've at about 200 hosts and the
> squid and the firewall are installed in the same
> machine, with 01 GB RAM and the partition has 08 GB.
>
> I'm using:
> cache_mem 512 MB
> cache_dir ufs /usr/data/squid/cache 5120 16 256

I'd say 512MB is too much for such host. I use 128MB and decreased it from
256MB, while I have ~42GB in two cache_dirs.

Note that only objects fetched from remote servers stay in the memory cache,
obnjects that were cached and are sent from disk, are not stored in memory
cache. By using that huge memory cache you decrease amount of memory useable
by system, which means disk cache, buffers, etc.

for network with 200 hosts, I'd buy dedicated disk drive for caching.

Windows 2000: 640 MB ought to be enough for anybody