[squid-users] Caching of responses for a small group of clients not using the cache themselves

From: Bjørn Erik Olsrød <bjornerikolsrod@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 12:22:26 +0200

Hi,

I have the following situation:
Although I want all clients' responses to be cached (if applicable), the
cache should not be used to handle the requests of a small group of clients.

Group A: Few users whom should "not use" the cache.
Group B: Majority of users whom should use the cache.

Note that I would like to cache the responses for clients in Group A, so any
clients in Group B may access these objects (originally requested by any
client regardless of belonging to group A or B) directly from cache. Hence
clients in group B have access to the entire cache, whilst no clients in
group A should ever "access" the cache (but nevertheless contribute to
filling it).

This may possibly be regarded as a "silent cache miss" for all clients in
Group A, i.e. never a cache hit, resulting in a forwarded request to the
origin server and caching of the response.

For group B, all use of the cache is normal (i.e. use cache for requests and

The distinction between group A and B may be done in several ways (e.g. src,
myip, myport etc).
Is this possible and if so, how should this be configured?

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated!
Thnx!

Best regards
Bjorn Erik

MSN Music http://music.msn.no Finn din favorittmusikk blant nesten 1 million