Re: [squid-users] WHOIS queries over squid

From: David Landgren <david@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 15:11:12 +0200

Duncan McQueen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to do direct whois queries over squid. I can do such
> queries as HTTP requests, but was curious as to whether it is possible
> to do th requests directly (to port 43)? If so, what would be the
> commands to the server. For example, the http request is "GET
> whois.pl HTTP/1.1 etc", how would he similar command look for a whois
> query?

See RFC 954. WHOIS is a ancient protocol, much easier to understand
than, say, HTTP. A command just looks like

   <whois-name><cr><lf>

then read, read, read till your done.

That's it. Although this RFC is now obsolete (in 2003 IIRC) it's enough
to get an understanding.

David

--
"It's overkill of course, but you can never have too much overkill."