Re: [squid-users] Minimum hardware required to run squid 2.5

From: Pedro Timóteo <patimoteo@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 16:38:14 +0100

Luciano Pereira Areal wrote:
> Hello folks!!
>
> I�m intending to setup and configure a "little server" to test and run
> squid. My question is really simple:
>
> What is the minimum hardware required to run squid on a Slackware 10.2 box,
> serving a small network with 20 workstations?
>
> Any answer or knock in the head will be gladly accepted.
>
> Thanks in advance and regards,
> Luciano Pereira Areal

A Pentium 200 with 128 MB of RAM will probably be more than enough. No,
I'm not kidding.

Really, if it's a new server, look for the cheapest you can buy. The
hardware will be mostly idle anyway. 20 workstations is virtually nothing.

Don't fall for the Windows / Oracle people, who say that you can't do
anything with less than 4 top of the line CPUs. It's only that way
because their software stinks.

Pedro