Re: [squid-users] Minimum hardware required to run squid 2.5

From: Luciano Pereira Areal <lpareal@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 14:27:33 -0300

Luciano Pereira Areal wrote:
> > Hello folks!!
> >
> > I?m intending to setup and configure a "little server" to test and run
> > squid. My question is really simple:
> >
> > What is the minimum hardware required to run squid on a Slackware 10.2
> > box, serving a small network with 20 workstations?
> >
> > Any answer or knock in the head will be gladly accepted.
> >
> > Thanks in advance and regards,
> > Luciano Pereira Areal
> >

> A Pentium 200 with 128 MB of RAM will probably be more than enough. No,
> I'm not kidding.
>
> Really, if it's a new server, look for the cheapest you can buy. The
> hardware will be mostly idle anyway. 20 workstations is virtually nothing.
>
> Don't fall for the Windows / Oracle people, who say that you can't do
> anything with less than 4 top of the line CPUs. It's only that way because
> their software stinks.
>

> Pedro

Hi Pedro!

Incredible, huh? Fortunately, we do not need to mount our servers using
proprietary software. Can you imagine yourself spending more than R$
8.000,00 bucks on a shine, brand new "Pentium D 64EE
Extra-Mint-Super-Duper-Plus++" server, just to run "proxy-cache"? Neither
me... but this was exactly what my boss would do, until i found a humble
old-fashioned machine, on the IT-Support Room...

Now, after reading you e-mail, i got this old machine, and i´m running Squid
2.5 on a Pentium 133 MHz with 64 Mb RAM and 10 Gb IDE hard drive here. It´s
amazing how it works flawlessly with Squid... and the CPU usage on "top"
never goes over 35%... right now, 3 users are using my server and it is
running about 13,7%...

I pretend to enhance and add more features on this "little kid", just like
report generators and probably an antivirus. By the way, do you know any
good antivirus to run joined with squid? Clamav? F-Prot? AVG? Anything? (lol
:-) )

Thanks for the answer.

Best regards,
Luciano Pereira Areal