Re: [squid-users] cache storage problem? (squid 3)

From: Dan Thomson <thomson.dan@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 12:06:22 -0700

On 5/25/06, Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@fantomas.sk> wrote:
> I hope you noticed that squid3 is still in development...

Yeah :) I've been playing with it for a while. When I encounter
problems, it's sometimes hard to figure out if it's a problem with
squid 3 or squid in general. I mainly wanted to see if anyone else
encountered the same type of problem.

> > On 5/24/06, Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@fantomas.sk> wrote:
>
> Note that cache_memory is only used for newly fetched objects, not for those
> fetched from cache. I'd say this is kind of waste.

I thought cache_memory was used for 'hot' objects. I'm currently using
"heap LFUDA" as my memory_replacement_policy.

> It's a pretty waste of space, I'd say. for 60GB drives, I'd use size 40000
> also, 128 L1 dirs is too much for 2GB cache_dirs, I have 64 on 30GB
> cache_dirs (but this should not cause any problem)

Yeah. I'm aware that there's loads of unused space. Performance seems
to improve (if slightly) when I have the cache_dir memory low. I've
looked at the FAQ and know that I _should_ be able to use more. Right
now I'm mainly trying to get a basic working configuration that I can
start from. I'd like to be using more cache_mem too, but I've
decreased it for the same reason.

I'll fix the L1 dirs at least, even though it probably doesn't mean much.

> this may be an IRQ conflict, or bad drivers for SCSI/net card.

I doubt it, but I'll test on another system to see if the problem persists...

> what sizes are those objects of?

Most are between 5-10k in size.

> May be caused by the fact squid searches for valid cache_dir

I'm starting to believe the same thing.

--
Dan Thomson
Systems Engineer