Re: [squid-users] cache storage problem? (squid 3)

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 12:07:28 +0200

> On 5/25/06, Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@fantomas.sk> wrote:
> >this may be an IRQ conflict, or bad drivers for SCSI/net card.
>
> I doubt it, but I'll test on another system to see if the problem
> persists...

is that on linux? try checking /proc/interrupts. Maybe reordering PCI cards
would help a bit.
Do you use 32 or 64bit architecture? iwith 32bit, you probably can't use
more than one (or two?) GB of data segment per process, which may also cause
some more load...

> >May be caused by the fact squid searches for valid cache_dir
>
> I'm starting to believe the same thing.

Squid probably tries to find out which objects to purge from memory cache,
and then it decides where to save them. Also, it has to purge some objects
off ths disk, which results which in case of big memory and relatively small
disk cache results into much CPU processing.

now, first I would try to decrease cache_mem to one half (51MB is still
MUCH) and increase cache_dirs' sizes.

The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes.