[squid-users] GET format question

From: Mike Sullivan <msullivan@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 19:10:44 -0400

I have a default install of squid working fine when I set a browser to use the squid proxy. What I am wondering, is can I configure squid to also (or only) accept GET requests in the normal browser format? By this I mean have squid accept a GET / instead of GET http://domain.com/?

A transparent proxy will not work because the destination IP address will be the squid proxy's IP and not the actual site IP because of some DNS issues (dns will point to the proxy for all requests), and I would think a transparent proxy will need the destination IP in the packet (or can squid perform a dns lookup on the HOST parameter while in transparent mode?).

I've read about the httpd_accel_uses_host_header parameter, but don't know if changing that will allow me to do what I'm after - have squid act like a proxy but accept a GET in standard browser format.

Any pointers/suggestions appreciated.

Thanks