Re: [squid-users] I.E. Exceptions

From: Merton Campbell Crockett <m.c.crockett@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 06:59:24 -0700

On 22 Jun 2006, at 06:35 , Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> ons 2006-06-21 klockan 16:33 -0600 skrev Lance Pehrson:
>
>> I am trying to have two applications bypass the proxy by adding
>> exception in IE. One address is subdomain.domain.com the other is
>> subdomain.domain.com/somesuffix. You would think that *.domain.com
>> would
>> do it but it only allows the exception with out the suffix
>> through. The
>> app that uses the url with a suffix still hits the proxy. Why is
>> this?
>
> See the IE documentation on how to write exceptions. Not entirely sure
> what syntax they use there..

Interesting. I just ran into this problem with content in one
directory that needed to be handled differently from the rest of the
content on the web server. I thought that I could handle this with a
shExpMatch(url, "string") function in the proxy.pac file.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work consistently as you run up against
Windows' default web proxy cacheing behaviour that does not allow
exceptions for a given web server or host. If the URL of the first
access to a given host results in a DIRECT being returned, IE will
use DIRECT for all content on the given host. If a PROXY is
returned, IE will use the proxy for all content on the specific host.

The last problem can be resolved but requires a Windows Registry
change to define "enableProxyResultsCache" and set its value to 0 to
disable the caching. I recommend that you search Microsoft's
Knowledge Base for the above string. I don't remember the exact
syntax and the article that I found had it wrong. :(

>> What can I do to get the same domain with a suffix and without to
>> bypass
>> the proxy? If I add them both to the exceptions in IE I get which
>> ever
>> one I list first bypassing the proxy and the other does not.
>
> For full control write a PAC script instead of using the manual proxy
> settings & exceptions.
>
> Regards
> Henrik

Merton Campbell Crockett