Re: [squid-users] Squid, HTTP/1.0, and HTTP/1.1

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 01:01:42 +0200

lör 2006-06-24 klockan 15:47 -0700 skrev Merton Campbell Crockett:

> My understanding is that a server receiving an HTTP/1.0 request is
> supposed to respond using the same version of the protocol.

No, a server should respond with the highest protocol version it
supports. But there is some features in HTTP/1.1 it MUST NOT use if the
request was a HTTP/1.0 request.

> As you might gather, the problem involves authentication. In this
> specific instance, IE users should authenticate using NTLM
> authentication while users of other browsers should use basic
> authentication. What occurs, in practice, is that IE users that are
> in the Active Directory domain receive a 401.2 status while Firefox
> users and IE users whose system is not logged into or known to the
> Active Directory domain are prompted to provide their authentication
> credentials.

NTLM can not be proxied by Squid-2.5 due to the ways Microsoft twisted
the HTTP protocol when slabbing their connection oriented NTLM
authentication method ontop of the message based HTTP protocol..

> The other part of the question is what does Squid do when it receives
> an HTTP/1.1 response to its HTTP/1.0 request?

What it should, responds to it's clients with a HTTP/1.0 response.