Re: [squid-users] Squid, HTTP/1.0, and HTTP/1.1

From: Merton Campbell Crockett <m.c.crockett@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 16:25:50 -0700

On 24 Jun 2006, at 16:01 , Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> lör 2006-06-24 klockan 15:47 -0700 skrev Merton Campbell Crockett:
>
>> My understanding is that a server receiving an HTTP/1.0 request is
>> supposed to respond using the same version of the protocol.
>
> No, a server should respond with the highest protocol version it
> supports. But there is some features in HTTP/1.1 it MUST NOT use if
> the
> request was a HTTP/1.0 request.
>
>> As you might gather, the problem involves authentication. In this
>> specific instance, IE users should authenticate using NTLM
>> authentication while users of other browsers should use basic
>> authentication. What occurs, in practice, is that IE users that are
>> in the Active Directory domain receive a 401.2 status while Firefox
>> users and IE users whose system is not logged into or known to the
>> Active Directory domain are prompted to provide their authentication
>> credentials.
>
> NTLM can not be proxied by Squid-2.5 due to the ways Microsoft twisted
> the HTTP protocol when slabbing their connection oriented NTLM
> authentication method ontop of the message based HTTP protocol..

I'm well aware of the NTLM authentication issues. The reason for the
questions is that Microsoft is actively looking at the authentication
issue. Apparently, IE browsers that access IIS servers through Squid
are an exemplar of the problem; however, the problem will, also,
occur when Squid is not in the path.

>> The other part of the question is what does Squid do when it receives
>> an HTTP/1.1 response to its HTTP/1.0 request?
>
> What it should, responds to it's clients with a HTTP/1.0 response.

Squid received an HTTP/1.1 request from the client. Squid changed
the protocol to HTTP/1.0 for the next hop. Squid received an HTTP/
1.1 response, shouldn't Squid pass the HTTP header fields that it
doesn't understand to the client?

Merton Campbell Crockett
m.c.crockett@adelphia.net