Re: [squid-users] Caching large amounts of images...

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 11:41:15 +0200

> >Any pointers would be appreciated (I'm new to caching), thank you.

On 28.06.06 10:53, Chris Robertson wrote:

(pretty nice general recommendations, but...)

> In no particular order:
> *Stay away from regex ACLs.
> *Throw as much RAM as you can afford in to the caching servers.
> *Use lots of disks.
> * Don't RAID your cache disks.

don't raid0/raid5 your cache disks. squid has more cache-disks functionality
that's better (faster and more secure) than raid0, and raid5 KILLS
I/O performance.

> *Stay away from the ufs store type (aufs seems to be the more stable
> than diskd, diskd might be a bit quicker).

since when is diskd faster than aufs?

> *Keep your cache_mem setting fairly low (it's only used for objects
> fetched from the network), let your system's disk caching work to your
> advantage.

however you may set up higher cache_mem if you have enough of memory and
objects are often fetched from servers.