[squid-users] refresh.c/refreshIsCachable buglet?

From: Andreas J. Koenig <andreas.koenig.gmwojprw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 11:27:44 +0200

The refreshIsCachable() routine has the following in 2.6RC2 (but
virtually the same code in 2.5 and 3.0):

    if (entry->mem_obj->reply->content_length == 0)
        /* No use refreshing (caching?) 0 byte objects */
        return 0;

We think this is a bug. Why should 0 byte replies be less cacheable?
In our case we have an application where all replies from the origin
server are expensive to compute and quite a lot of them have the size
zero. This is why we discovered this innocent looking line. We're
using squid as accelerator and noticed too many hits on our backend
server.

We're now planning to patch our squid to remove this chunk and hope
this will solve our problems. Are we missing something?

--
andreas