Re: [squid-users] Strange behaviour with squid

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 12:50:55 -0800

Luca Manganelli wrote:

> Hi, I've configured my squid proxy to use NTLM authentication.
>
> When I access to internet from a PC with Firefox, an authentication
> window appears:
>
> Please write username and password for proxy "" on testproxy:3128
>
> I write user and pwd, but the same window appears. If I press ESC
> (close window), another window appears:
>
> Please write username and password for proxy "Squid Test Proxy" on
> testproxy:3128
>
> The only difference is the proxy name, but after I wrote user and
> password the proxy works!
>
> Why the proxy is acting in this mode?

It sounds to me as though you are not supplying the domain portion of
the NTLM authentication in the first dialog box. The second dialog is
likely basic authentication. You have a few options. First, try
supplying the domain in the first password dialog like...

domain\username

... and your Windows password. Second, enable Firefox to silently supply
NTLM credentials to your proxy server (from
http://blogs.wdevs.com/shog9/archive/2005/03/09/2668.aspx)

   1. In Firefox, type about:config into the address bar and hit enter.
      You should see a huge list of configuration properties.
   2. Find the setting named network.automatic-ntlm-auth.trusted-uris
      (the easiest way to do this is to type that into the filter box at
      top).
   3. Double-click this line, and enter the names of all servers for
      which NTLM is desired, separated by commas. Then press ‘OK’ to
      confirm.

Chris