[squid-users] Allow specific large files by URL

From: Ben Hathaway <ben.hathaway@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 11:54:26 +0300

Dear Group,

        I have a basic 4MB limit on cache file size. This is about right for
my needs. However, there is a group of about 5 URLs that keep cropping up
that are downloads of larger files - normally software updates, virus
definitions, that sort of thing. I want to cache them regardless of their
size, but I don't want to cache anything else that it more than 4Mb.

Can I set exceptions to the Maximum File Size rules for specific URLs?
Actually, specific domain paths...?

My only other thought was a kind of transparent redirection (perhaps in the
iptables) to some other local server and then download these files in a cron
job. However, this is a little bit like re-inventing the wheel just because
you want a blue one. (shameless "Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy" reference)

Any suggestions?

My thanks in advance,

Ben Hathaway
Software Developer