[squid-users] Memory usage TIP !!!

From: Luiz Henrique Ozaki <luiz.ozaki@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 06:22:08 -0300

Im using AS4.0 Kernel 2.6.16.20 and my uptime is 11 days... Ive notice
that the memory usage only increase, increase and didnt get free.

Googling i found this:
Writing to this will cause the kernel to drop clean caches, dentries
and inodes from memory, causing that memory to become free.

To free pagecache:

    * echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

To free dentries and inodes:

    * echo 2 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

To free pagecache, dentries and inodes:

    * echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

As this is a non-destructive operation and dirty objects are not
freeable, the user should run "sync" first.

My system with 5 days uptime got 50MB free, doing a sync and then echo
3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches frees all the memory making 1683452k free
memory =D

It free all the cached memory shown in "top".

--
[]'s
Luiz Henrique Ozaki