Re: [squid-users] CentOS 4.3 and Squid Version

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 23:20:55 +0200

ons 2006-07-26 klockan 13:49 -0400 skrev Brad Taylor:
> I'm getting ready to put 3 Squid reverse proxy servers into production
> and I'm looking for the best distro do to this with and the best way to
> maintain Squid updates. I'm familiar with CentOS 4.3 and would like to
> use that distro but found that Squid 2.5 STABLE6 is the latest version
> for CentOS 4.3. Any reason why such a popular program like Squid would
> not be updated for CentOS (Red Hat Clone)?

Because of RedHat Enterprise Linux policy on updates. No major updates
(not even a Squid bugfix release update), only minor bugfixes/patches
and security fixes.

If you want quicker updates you are better off running a more bleeding
edge OS. If you like the Red Hat layout of things then Fedora Core 5
should fit you nicely. Current version in Fedora Core 5 is 2.5.STABLE14.