Re: [squid-users] CentOS 4.3 and Squid Version

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 23:28:02 +0200

ons 2006-07-26 klockan 12:02 -0800 skrev Chris Robertson:

> and report bugs to RedHat. If, on the other hand, you are using a clone
> distribution (CentOS, WhiteBox, etc.) then your support is going to be
> supplied by the community. If you want the Squid community to support
> your Squid install, please, please, PLEASE don't use the stock distro
> packages.

It's more than a please. Stability issues found with vendor versions of
Squid is not diagnosed or fixed by the Squid developers unless the
problem is also found in the latest squid-cache.org release. We support
the current STABLE release, nothing else. Current Squid is 2.6.STABLE1,
with 2.6.STABLE2 just around the corner.

> They are not current. There are too many non-standard,
> back-ported changes. If you want stability, hang back a release or two
> (pick one with few bug fixes, and apply the patches), and let others
> shake out the problems with the new releases. But don't ask the
> community to support the Frankenstein's Monster released by the vendor.

RedHat and most other vendors is usually doing a good job, but it's not
a job we can do for them. We support the latest official release, not
forked releases.

> To the original poster, one of the Squid developers (Henrik Nordstrom)
> was keeping up to date RPM packages of Squid. I'm not sure if he still
> is, and I don't feel that it's my place to supply the link in any case.

I no longer maintain my RPMs as Fedora Core is usually quite up to date
and available via yum, and additionally the SRPMS from there should work
on nearly any RedHat like distro..