[squid-users] Squid-2.6.STABLE2: HTTP, ICP, and Siblings

From: Merton Campbell Crockett <m.c.crockett@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 07:28:17 -0700

I have a proxy.pac/wpad.dat file that uses a hashing technique
described in one of Duane Wessels' books on web caching to balance
the load between 2 Squid proxy servers.

Currently, each server is running Squid-2.6.STABLE2 and the
configuration file has a cache_peer statement defining the other
server as a sibling using the standard ports. The configuration file
is identical to that used in Squid-2.5.STABLE6 although there are
some minor changes due to changes in configuration variables.

After upgrading to Squid-2.6, I noticed warning messages about
possible loops. In each of the messages, the HTTP client was
identified as the other Squid server. I was under the impression
that ICP was used to query siblings for cached web content and to
transfer that content to the requesting server.

Why would a Squid server send an HTTP request instead of an ICP
request to a sibling?

Also, it was my understanding that the receipt of an ICP request did
not result in the Squid server sending ICP requests to other cache
peers, e.g. it was only a request for content that is currently cached.

Do I have a missing configuration statement or do I, simply,
misunderstand how Squid works?

Merton Campbell Crockett
m.c.crockett@adelphia.net