Re: [squid-users] squid use entire disk partition

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 18:20:07 +0800

On Wed, Aug 09, 2006, James_Gray@ocs.com wrote:

> Out of curiosity, has anyone done benchmarking of squid using a formatted
> disk partition for cache, versus raw IO (using Veritas Volume Manager
> etc)? I've seen massive improvements in RDBMS applications
> (Oracle/DB2/etc) when using raw IO, so I'm curious if this is even
> possible with squid. I'm offline ATM so googling isn't really an option,
> but if anyone has links to any case studies etc with Squid, I'm very
> interested.

COSS, which Steven Wilton and I have put a lot of effort into over
the last few months, is a 'raw io' filesystem which speaks direct
to a block device (or file if you prefer.)

When benchmarking COSS I noticed using ext3 rather than the raw
device gave a rough 20% increase in disk IO bandwidth. I was also
seeing the IO being scheduled in 'clumps' rather than evenly over
time.

So yes, rawio is faster. :0

Adrian