Re: [squid-users] squid use entire disk partition

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 18:36:54 +0800

On Wed, Aug 09, 2006, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> COSS, which Steven Wilton and I have put a lot of effort into over
> the last few months, is a 'raw io' filesystem which speaks direct
> to a block device (or file if you prefer.)
>
> When benchmarking COSS I noticed using ext3 rather than the raw
> device gave a rough 20% increase in disk IO bandwidth. I was also
> seeing the IO being scheduled in 'clumps' rather than evenly over
> time.
>
> So yes, rawio is faster. :0

.. oh, and I forgot to explain what COSS is in case you don't know.
Its a cyclic-type filesystem which was designed to store small
objects (under 128kb). Its not designed to store arbitrary-sized
objects.

It handles that workload a -lot- better than the unix filesystems.
Squid could probably utilise some of the more modern unix filesystems
a tad better then it does to get more performance out of it.

Adrian