[squid-users] Epoll and COSS on a lightly-loaded server?

From: Steve Snyder <swsnyder@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 11:41:05 -0400

What do the new epoll and COSS options offer to me as the administrator of
a lightly-loaded Squid server? Anything?

I usually read of epoll in the context of being recommended for a Squid
server with very high CPU utilization. I'm not clear on the advantages
of COSS over other disk storage schemes.

I am currently using UFS on a single ReiserFS-formatted cache, on Linux.
This setup is working fine, but I am always looking for improvement.
(Given that I do not suffer from high CPU use, improvement would be
defined as reduced latency in cache look-ups.)

Any thoughts on what these new option might mean for a lightly-loaded
server?

Thanks.