Re: [squid-users] Epoll and COSS on a lightly-loaded server?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 21:45:39 +0200

ons 2006-08-09 klockan 11:41 -0400 skrev Steve Snyder:
> What do the new epoll and COSS options offer to me as the administrator of
> a lightly-loaded Squid server? Anything?

Not much. Both are targeted at highly loaded servers where CPU and disk
I/O is bottlenecks.

> I usually read of epoll in the context of being recommended for a Squid
> server with very high CPU utilization. I'm not clear on the advantages
> of COSS over other disk storage schemes.

In short COSS reduces disk I/O by trading cache size.

> I am currently using UFS on a single ReiserFS-formatted cache, on Linux.
> This setup is working fine, but I am always looking for improvement.
> (Given that I do not suffer from high CPU use, improvement would be
> defined as reduced latency in cache look-ups.)

Then the first thing to look into would be cache_mem setting and amount
of physical ram in the box. Need to be a good balance.

> Any thoughts on what these new option might mean for a lightly-loaded
> server?

Nothing.

Well,, epoll is likely to be used anyway, doesn't hurt. But also doesn't
bring you much if CPU isn't a problem.