RE: [squid-users] squid & peer to peer

From: yance <yance_kowara@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 23:42:52 +1000

Assuming that you are trying to lock down Win clients:

Blocking peer to peer using proxy does not work.

Blocking peer to peer using the firewall may not be that simple because they
can sneak in/out via http

What I do with my Winshock clients is to modify Windolls' hosts file using:

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Remember to restart Win clients after modifying win's hosts file.

Use transparent proxy so clients can't bypass the firewall, or no
transparent proxy but block requests to http ports on the gateway.

Block torrent ports using the firewall

Kind regards,

Yance