Re: [squid-users] Squid sometimes failed on boot but it work

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 11:10:30 -0800

Paolo De Marco wrote:
> Hi all.
> I have a RedHat 9 with Squid Cache version 2.5.STABLE1 for
> i386-redhat-linux-gnu, and it starts on the boot machine.
> Sometimes Squid failed to start on machine's boot. In messages i see
>
> squid: Starting squid:
> squid[1886]: Squid Parent: child process 1889 started
> squid: .
> last message repeated 19 times
> squid:
> rc: Starting squid: failed
>
> but it works good! Squid accepts all requests. In cache.log there are
> no errors...
> I have 8 machines with the same problem. Any idea?

My guess would be that your init script starts Squid (successfully) and
looks for a pid file to verify that Squid is running (printing a period
every second for 20 seconds while waiting). I would further speculate
that the pid file is either being created in a location other than the
one that the init script expects it (likely /var/run/squid.pid), or is
not created due to a permissions issue. Not having that pid file to
fall back on will likely prevent your init script from properly stopping
squid (or reloading it for that matter). But this is all just speculation.

Chris