[squid-users] basic auth on parent/peer cache?

From: <Markus.Rietzler@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 17:22:45 +0200

the question in short:
how can i do basic user authentication on a parent cache?

the question on long:
our squid hierachy looks like

        pc -> user-proxy -> parent-proxies -> internet/intranet access

we want to restrict access to certain servers on the parent-proxy. i can
setup user auth on the parent proxy. when i access the parent direct i
get
a password-dialog saying, type in my username/password and get
forwarded.

when i do the same with my "user"-proxy the authentication doesn't work.
the passwort-dialog comes up, but it says that i should authenticate
against
"user-proxy"...

i have read that this is the problem with "PROXY AUTH" HTTP-status 407
and 403.
how can i solve this? i searched through mailing list and newsgroups but
didn't
find the right answer - maybe my searched with the wrong "question"...
;-)

thanxs

markus