Re: [squid-users] 2.6-stable3 performance weirdness with polymix-4 testing

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 09:39:47 +0800

On Mon, Aug 28, 2006, Pranav Desai wrote:

> >A single drive and you expect 1000 req/s? Is this a solid-state drive or
> >something with infinitely small seek time?
> >
> No, its just a regular drive. I am already working on that, but its
> kind of difficult to get things changed quickly :-).
> But the good part is that even with 1 disk its able to do 1000 req/s
> atleast for the first 6 hrs, so I am sure I can push it more once I
> get some better hardware.

I think you'll find that the performance is degrading because:

* (a) the disk write queues are slowly filling up and taking longer to write;
* (b) the disk is filling up and fragmentation+object replacement+non-linear
      file allocation kicks in.

Faster hardware won't fix that. More disks may. COSS will help a lot for
the smaller objects. But a lot more work needs to be done to improve the
Squid disk store under load.

> It didnt in the first phase. In fact it did very well in the first
> phase compared to the first phase of 2.5, but somehow after the idle
> phase it just wasnt able to recover and the polybench wasnt even able
> to push to 1000 req/s because the response times were so high.

Whats your squid.conf look like? It sounds like the disks just couldn't
keep up with your request rate.

Adrian