Re: [squid-users] What else can I try? ip_wccp compilation / load issue

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 21:59:10 +0800

On Mon, Sep 04, 2006, Richard Stern wrote:
> Hi All,
> looking to do transparent caching using Squid and Cisco routers. Getting
> hung up on setting up the wccp module. Not planning on using gre, although
> would consider doing that way if ip wccp module does not work out.

Here's my suggestion:

* Use the gre module - it just works in Linux 2.6
* Make sure you've read my recent post to squid-users which outlines what
  I did to get squid-2.6 + wccpv2 working.

The steps are:

* insert gre; make sure you bring up gre0 with some fake IP so the GRE
  subsystem is working
* Make sure you disable rp_filter, enable ip_forward and stuff
* Compile squid-2.6 with netfilter
* Get your transparent interception rules right!
* Disable SELinux; it might be interfering!

Let me know if you're still stuck in a day or two. I'm writing a "howto"
on my experiences setting it up under Debian Sarge/Ubuntu.

Adrian