Re: [squid-users] FATAL: xcalloc: Unable to allocate 1 blocks of 4112 bytes!

From: Pranav Desai <pranavadesai@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 16:17:49 -0700

On 8/14/06, Adrian Chadd <adrian@creative.net.au> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 14, 2006, Pranav Desai wrote:

> > >Ah - which platform are you running this on? Is it being compiled
> > >in proper 64 bit mode?
> > >

> > How would I check if its being compiled correctly or not? I think it is.
> >
> > Its compiled on a 64bit AMD with the following kernel:
>
> Compile this and see:
>
> #include <stdio.h>
> main()
> {
> printf("Sizeof pointer = %d\n", sizeof(*int));
> }
>
> It should say 8 bytes for a 64 bit platform and 4 bytes for a 32 bit platform.
>
> > >I've never run squid with 4 gigabytes of RAM for cache_mem
> > >and i've never had a computer with enough memory to let me do so. :)
> >
> > Same here, this is first time I have ever seen 16GB of memory in a machine
> > :-)
>
> Heh. I've got access to a solaris machine with >4 gig of RAM I could
> try running Squid on. This'll tell me whether there's any reason Squid
> can't grow its cache_mem usage past four gigabytes.

Did you have any luck with higher value of cache_mem ?

On further testing it seems like the process fails when it hits ~1GB
limit (in top). I read in the FAQ that the msgs could be due lack of
swap space or per process data seg size limit.
I have checked both using and neither seems to be the case.

The other thing that the FAQ mentioned was that there is limit set by
the kernel also. I am not sure how to change that. Does anyone know
how to do that ?

Part of my ulimit output

core file size (blocks, -c) 0
data seg size (kbytes, -d) unlimited
file size (blocks, -f) unlimited
pending signals (-i) 131072
max locked memory (kbytes, -l) 32
max memory size (kbytes, -m) unlimited
open files (-n) 32768
pipe size (512 bytes, -p) 8

It is set to unlimited and my swap space is about 750MB free.

line from top command.

Swap: 1959888k total, 1200580k used, 759308k free, 6514844k cached

Thanks

-- Pranav

--
http://pd.dnsalias.org