Re: [squid-users] Re: FreeBSD 6.x server with Squid/diskd

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 09:12:21 +0800

On Thu, Sep 07, 2006, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> m??n 2006-09-04 klockan 11:17 -0600 skrev Brett Glass:
> > Henrik:
> >
> > In what version of Squid was this instability introduced? Does it
> > only show up in certain versions of the operating system? We have
> > caches running FreeBSD 4.9 and Squid 2.5.STABLE5 (see the output of
> > "squid -v" below) which are absolutely rock solid under heavy
> > loads; they work so well that we have not upgraded them.
>
> It's always been there actually, for as long as diskd has existed. But
> it only occurs when diskd is being pushed to the limits, which
> indirectly means the faster Squid is the likelier the problem is seen..

And I've been testing squid-2.6 + aufs on FreeBSD 6.1 and it seems quite
stable and performing (ie, not blocking on IO like it would do under
FreeBSD 4.x.)

Brett, could you perhaps try running Squid-2.6 + kqueue + aufs under
FreeBSD 6.x ? You should notice a bit of a performance boost.
I don't have high-spec enough hardware to really push things anymore
but I've run polygraph over a freebsd 6.1+squid-2.6+kqueue+aufs cache
with 2 IDE disks maxed out at a couple of megabytes a second and
it was all rather stable.

Adrian