Re: [squid-users] ntlm_auth with password prompt

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 09:15:06 +0800

On Wed, Sep 06, 2006, Guido Serassio wrote:
> Hi Jimmy,
>
> At 20.47 06/09/2006, Jimmy Jonsson wrote:
> >I have a little odd question. One of my customers who uses Squid wants the
> >user to be prompted for a password and then let ntlm_auth authenticate the
> >against Active Directory. Is there a way to tell ntlm_auth to always prompt
> >the user for password ?
>
> I think no.
>
> NTLM authentication is some time called "transparent authentication" ....
> :-)
>
> Internet Explorer prompts the user for authentication only when the
> "transparent authentication" fails.

You could just configure basic authentication using the Samba ntlm_auth helper.
It'll then still authenticate against active directory, but it wouldn't use
NTLM between the browser and squid to do it.

(Some of the caches at work have this setup but I don't think anyone's using
it yet. I'll try it out today.)

Adrian