Re: [squid-users] A problem of authentication

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 05:19:21 +0200

tis 2006-09-12 klockan 10:29 +0800 skrev sjchen@xiagc.com.cn:

> But if I keep on opening new browse windows,(I did not close those opened
> browse windows) I have to reenter my username and password again and again
> for accessing the Internet.
> How can I do to aviod repeating authentication?

You need to configure the browser to run a single instance/session even
if you keep opening new windows. Same as when you open a new browser
window from within the browser (Ctrl-N, or "New window" in the file
menu).

If using Firefox then this is usually the default.

MSIE can be configured in both modes I think. Not sure where it is set
(not a Windows user). Should be either in the preferences of the icon
you use for starting MSIE, or in the advanced internet settings
somwehere..

You could also look into using integrated authentication (ntlm). This
way the browser automatically authenticates to the proxy with the
desktop user, ant you never need to type in a password to access the
proxy. Assumes you are running a Windows domain and that the client
station is logged on to the domain..