Re: [squid-users] Squid+Cisco w/WCCP ---> multiple tcp ports?

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 18:41:04 +0800

On Wed, Sep 13, 2006, Tom Warren wrote:
> I have recently set up a transparent squid cache at the small ISP
> where I work using Fedora Core 4 and squid-2.6.STABLE3. It is
> performing well but I'd like to cache additional traffic such as
> alternate HTTP ports and maybe later even FTP using something like
> FROX.

Hm, FTP will be a bit nasty - I'm not sure how WCCP will redirect all
the traffic for the dynamic data ports..

> - What is the standard syntax for redirecting multiple ports using
> 'wccp2_service dynamic' and 'wccp2_service_info' configuration
> parameters.

Good question! I'll take a look when I get home tonight.

> - Can I operate standard (web-cache) and dynamic services simultaneously?

I think so. I'll re-read the spec (and the code) tonight.

> - After I successfully redirect other ports like 8080, et. al. to
> squid, will it automagically use the original port number in its
> request?

I don't think squid has the smarts to do this; but its easy to emulate.
You'd just redirect multiple traffic ports in iptables (one per rule) to
Squid, and have a bunch of http_port lines, eg:

http_port 3128 ip.ip.ip.ip:3128 transparent vport=80
http_port 8080 ip.ip.ip.ip:8080 transparent vport=8080
http_port 8081 ip.ip.ip.ip:8080 transparent vport=8081

.. which I think -should- work, but its a good question! I'll try it out
with my WCCPv2 testing setup at home and let you know.

Adrian